.

.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

We're too cheap to buy a quad runner......












Why spend $6500.00 on a new quad runner when you can have the generic at $1500.00?  I know, I know......I could look like a "Joe Cool"....perhaps look like a "Macho man" cruising the day on a quad runner. I'd rather look like a cheap old geezer on a riding lawnmower.....and taking that extra $5,000 buckos saved. Let them laugh.....I am too, all the way to the bank!
 The farm did buy a Cub Cadet riding lawn mower four years ago....for keeping the field grasses down, before we installed fencing and the horses. Now it is used to mow the front yard lawn.....which is less area than the living room :-)
 A idle piece of equipment basically......until I Googled "attachments". Just at Home Depot alone, they had 150 plus attachments that included a rear tin root-tiller .... grader....spreaders.....trailer sprayers....oh! Did I see trailer sprayers? Does this mean I can spray the orchards with a towed unit? Yes!
 Handy Dandy built the Natomas Farm a tow trailer....with a dumping hitch to it. it can be used to haul a little dirt here and there......haul around bare root trees....field equipment.....the list is endless. I went over to Harbor Frieght and fetched a orchard sprayer (with a extended warranty!)..... installed a power switch to the mower's dash board....and tried it out. 15 foot spray, easy to use.....and fun :-)
 Yes.....dont let that old riding lawn mower go work'les at your place.....and save a bunch of gasoline fuel cost by not having to run your big farm truck out to the field.

 Keep in mind that this setup is only for lite work......you wont see Farmer Deno out there plowing the fields with this poor man's quad runner :-)