.

.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

......we ain't no poor dirt farmers no more"



















Last weekend's launch of our fruit stand was just about exactly what we expected. The unexpected.

Late last Friday night Farmer Deno was down in the field...hauling supplies and the goods.....to the stand. I had harvested on Friday.....got the fruits and veggies into the cool room for the cool down. There they sat till late...because of the heat was still sizzling. I am not sure if I like working at night......preparing the fruit stand......fighting off the non vegetarian mosquitos.......and collecting bumps on my head from the lack of light.

It was worth it though.

We actually made sales.....and a few new friends. New neighbors too. All from a fruit stand. Farmer Deno was most taken by a little girl of age four that showed up with her elder sister of twenty something. This little girl had something for me.....a song. 

She stood there in the fruit stand.....and sang..... "Old MacDonald Had a Farm".  That itself made all of this five year's of hard work...........worth it. It reminded me that there is hope for this world. The little girl got a ride on our horse .....Big Girl.......and was thrilled. This is exactly what I hope the farm to become....a place of smiles.

So we made money too!  Jeanette can now buy a set of shoes....and perhaps we can feed the kids.