.

.

Friday, December 23, 2011

We won't freeze.













A standard cord is considered a 4'x4'x8' stack of wood including bark and air space. I just got finished sorting out the "other" pile wood that was delivered out in the apple orchard field last year. That pile turned out to be 70 feet in length! Add this number to the stacked wood I did a week ago, that's a total of 172 linear feet of wood. 20 some cords of wood. This is ten years worth of burning for us here at the farm.
  Stacking wood is best if it's not laid directly on the dirt. I laid old worthless wooded planks and branches  down first, then stacked my rounds up top. This will prevent moister from the ground from contact with the firewood. Moister softens the wood, and the bugs will infest. Fungus will get in there too. Best to stack all wood so that it has good air circulation, and off the ground.
 A standard cord of pine wood ranges from 4,700 pounds to 5,550 pounds. We have "mixed" wood such as Ash, Oak, and Mulberry....all which is heavier than pine. I moved over a hundred thousand pounds of wood, by hand (and my back)!