.

.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

.......farm workers are getting younger














There's one part of being a farmer that I just love....and that is giving tours to the groups. All that chaos when you have 12 kids asking a question at the same time.....the giggles to laughter...and of course the Ouuuu and Wows. Then there are the Moms.....Dads too once in a while....asking a question at the same time.....the giggles to laughter...and of course the Ouuuu and Wows :-)

This little guy in the opening picture.... just had to climb my demonstration fruit ladder. He had no fear. He did however pick his very own cherry to eat. I swear I saw his chest puff up. Hands on tour and don't be shy with the questions......seems to work well here. Farmer Deno gets the best questions at times...and I actually get a handful of questions from these kids...that will stump me. 

On most tours....The Natomas Farm allows the kids and the adults to pick some produce to take home....or I'll give them started veggie plants to take home. They always get to take something home......because that's the way it was when my elementary school went on field trips to Driftwood Dairy or the Wonder Bread factory in Los Angeles. The kids would get a little pint of chocolate milk from the dairy.....a mini loaf of super fresh bread from the bakery. I'm 60 years young and still remember those fabulous take home gifts like it was yesterday. Farmer Deno wants the same for the visiting kids.....to remember "that farm".

These kids got lucky on this day....the chickens had just finished laying their eggs.....and the youngsters were in the coop collecting breakfast.  Then a taste of our homemade prickly Pear Jelly........ a tomato plant to plant in their yard.......and zucchini squash for dinner.

I leave you.... the reader..... now with a handful of pictures from the first tour of the year.Enjoy....we here at the farm sure love these pictures.



No comments :